Monday, February 06, 2006

Somethings I've learned

So tonight in my OT2 class I heard a couple of concepts that I thought were significant and I wanted to reflect on them. I will probably not say as much as I originally planned, because I am tired but nevertheless here is what I got.

"No event has any intrinsic meaning."
"No event is self-defining or self-interpreting."
"chronologies establish a framework, histories have an ideology."

So the thought here is that we define events we encounter through the lens we view life. In other words no event standing alone is significant in and of itself. It is significant in relation to the way I understand life, my ideology that guides my thoughts. This is why one person sees the cross of Christ as extremely significant and one person fails to see it as momentous or relevant. Furthermore it also helps me understand why Vince, doesn't think the Red Hot Chili Peppers are a good band and important to rock music. alright maybe not. Nevertheless it has made me think a ton about history and the idea that even if we wanted to be completely objective in regards to our study of it, it is an impossibility. The conventions we use to study are merely the conventions of our time and culture, thus our conventions of study represent American, 21st century methods of study. What a huge thought. Objectivity is futile. This has huge ramifications for ethnocentrism, and cross-cultural understanding. We are all walking through life, whether fully aware or unaware carrying the baggage of the world, time, and culture we've been birthed into. This pervades all of our thoughts, and is our filter. Of course we can adapt our filter. I think the apostle Paul would say, transform, but nevertheless I think we have to be concious enough to decie to do that. Alright so I am tired, but I needed to communicate that before I slept, so as to say what was on my mind.

I guess here are a couple of things I will speak to in my next post, or merely leave them succinctly said now, K-fed is a choad(this is a reference to a video on my friends blog about Britney spear's hubby--bythebeachboy.blogspot.com, thanx Ken), I've never been a Springstein fan, but I think the song "devils and dust" is really good, One of my friends told me I was salesman last night in reference to my always talking and seeing the gospel in stuff and it gave me cause for concern--am I willy loman?he was well liked-or so he thought, Translating the biblical greek is gratifying work, i'm a tool.

No comments: