Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Barry Bonds, and why he's my boy

So I felt the need to drop some knowledge on some fools. One of the main reason this post exists is because my college roomate Jason will check it and explode. Furthermore I felt the need to defend my boy, Barry. Some will attempt to discredit his ability as a baseball player strictly because of the issues around whether or not he knowingly used steroids, however I have the trump card of statistics. One may attempt to throw away a couple hundred of his homeruns on the basis of "alleged"("I am lawyer," says star jones)steroid use, however in the summer of 2003 something undeniable happened. Barry Bonds in July of that month, had up until that point in the season hit more doubles and homeruns combined than times he whiffed on a pitch. For some who do not actively follow baseball, and can't understand the atrocity of this stat--it is ridiculous. It is essentially the same as attempting to drive your car in early summer in south mississippi and not get a dead bug on the windshield--the odds of missing the bug are the same of throwing a strike by Barry Bonds that he cannot connect to. Therefore I have said it before and I'll say it again, he is the best baseball lplayer I have ever seen, and will probably ever see. If you look at his walk to strikeout ratio over his career it is scary. If he chooses to play on his bad knee for ten more years he may reach the point when he literally walks 500 times in a season and bats a 1.000. For real. Steroids can't touch or defame that reality. I'm through. I just felt the need to say you may be able to choose not to love Barry Bonds, but no one can ever attack what he has done in the batters box. So there. Baseball season is upon us and I have to listen to one"credible" baseball writer criticize Barry the player I'm gonna do something sick. Hate the game not the player. It is with great courage that I say, barry is my boy.

6 comments:

Loren said...

after having read this entry, i'm not sure if we can be friends (ok, so maybe that's a little extreme, but I don't know that I would've pegged you as a Bonds boy)...

Anonymous said...

no one is criticizing his talent. he is one of the best. but his power stats (remember baseball is a game of numbers and those are the holy grail of numbers) are superficially inflated. he has blamed everyone for his image problem when he is the only one to blame.

tell your boy to stop whining, take a legit MLB roids test (which should have been done before his conveniently taken year off), and play TEAM baseball.

Anonymous said...

i've started about 10 different comments in response to this, but i just can't figure out exactly what to say.......

Anonymous said...

And what about his chest measurements from the past two years compared to this year. You forgot that one Jeff!!

Dana said...

well, i started a blog entry tonight with the intent of responding, but instead it just became a treatise on my lifelong love affair with baseball. barry can wait til another day...

Dana said...

...but then i read your friend jason's rebuttal and felt compelled to comment on there.