Tuesday, February 21, 2006

my life as experiment

"Please remember, we have no indication that what occurred in the early days of the Church was commanded or that it was even the right thing to do. This is not some pattern to be slavishly imitated. What we do see is an incredible freedom to experiment with practical ways to flesh out the meaning of love for God and neighbor. Under the authority of Christ these spirit-filled Christians were freed to try new ways to love one another."--Richard Foster

I like this quote because I have been thinking a lot about trying to live as radical as I think the call of Christ compels us to be. I'm tired of the domesticated life I've been living. I have totally made the gospel culpable to my whims. what a tragedy. Thus I am resolved to view my life as experiment and endeavor as fully as I can to embrace the moment by moment voice, without regard to reasoning. I probably don't mean that as spooky as it sounds. I just recognize that there are times when I very clearly feel God telling me to do one thing and I begin to reason it out. I want to be like the widow who gave her only 2 pieces. Resignation. She believed God was good with word and deed. I'm so tired of considering myself before others. I'm so tired of living a life of quiet death.

Sundaynight I got to see Coldplay. It was great. You got the feeling that they actually wanted to connect with the audience in tangible ways. Furthermore, the emotive nature of their music was powerful live. Crap I sound like a gay music critic. We are what we hate. I have so many things to say, but honestly do not posess the energy to communicate them all right now. In a few eeks I'll go home and take people with me to help rebuild in the wake of Katrina. I am excited about this oppurtunity. I get to share home with friends and tangibly meet needs.

I had dinner with my friend Joe tonight and talked about the gospel. It has been a joy to watch his heart and mind embrace the reality of Christ, each week he grabs onto another truth of the word and it is beautiful to watch the gospel do what it has been doing for years.

Girls. They are nice but sometimes my inability to understand them makes me feel like ric moranis from honey I shrunk the kids--well intentioned but wanting.

So anyway I've decided to try and quit holding back in regards to faith in action in my life. I'm gonna try to live my beliefs more as breathing, and less like strategy. experiment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a great song on a Mandy Patimkin tape (yes, that's how old it is) called "Experiment". I think Loren still has the tape. Just a thought...
Loren's Mom

Loren said...

Before we leave these portals
to meet our paramortals,
there's just one final massage I would give to you.

We all have learned reliance
on the sacred teachings of science,
so I hope through life you never will become,
in spite of philistines, defiant,
to do what all good scientists do.

Experiment.
Make it your motto day and night.

Experiment.
And it will lead you to the light.

The apple from the top of the tree
is never too high to achieve.
So take an example from me.

Experiment.

Be curious,
though interfering friends may frown.

Get furious,
at each attempt to hold you down.

If this advice you'll only employ,
the future can offer you infinite joy
and merriment.

Experiment,
and you'll see.

I totally forgot about this, actually. Here are the lyrics. I do still have the tape. If my tape player in my ghetto-fabulous car were still working, I'd let you listen to it...

I appreciate the reference to Honey I Shrunk the Kids...maybe you watch it more than you let on; and I say live this kind of life in all aspects. Maybe not just in matters of Christ-following, but with girls, too...

Anonymous said...

I'm a gay music critic. There is nothing wrong with being a gay music critic. If there is, at least I dress fasionable and have a nice haircut!!!