Thursday, December 15, 2005

Narnia and other stuff

On Tuesday night Vinnie and I went and saw The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. I thought they did a great job with the movie. I really got into the chronicles of narnia last summer, and they were unbelievable. After about four weeks of reading the books, I would see animals and hope they woud talk to me. I felt like I understood Narnia, and was really sucked into the fantasy of the books. I realize this makes me a nerd, but I think I'd dig living in a world with talking animals. But then again, if animals could talk we'd probably have a lot of guilt we'd have to deal with when we eat them, leash them, domesticate them, destroy their homes for subdivisions. At the risk of launching into a hippy, Peta sounding rant I will let that issue rest. Nevertheless the movie was good. Three things perplexed me after watching it though.

Issue One:

Liam Neesan(or however it is spelt) did Aslan's voice. No offense to Liam, I think he is an allright actor, no one could do that character Justice. Aslan is painted in such a (pardon the silly, dramatic, word) majestic light in the book that no human rendering of him visually or audibly could do him justice. SO at the risk of whining I am trying to force myself to come up with an alternative voice for THE lion. The best answer I could come up with was the voice over guy for NFL films. Not Steve Sabol, the produceer and guy that wears a sweater and introduces each film. The narrator who speaks when they are showing the Purple People eaters, or 1998 Falcons team. That guy has a commanding voice. So there is issue number one.

Issue two:

The beavers had british accents. I could not really discover any intelligible reason for this. One could guess because CS was, but then for that matter why don't all the other animals have British accents as well. It seems that any time you do a movie from a past time, someone inadvertently has to have a British accent. Thats frustrating. (By the way why don't we ever say advertently. It seems we only use the negative, and that doesn't seem fair.) Nevertheless I guess the candy apple answer is they are British, because in their world like ours people have different accents based on their geography. I do think answer is too simple though.

Issue Three:

I thought the white witch was hot. This is probably the most disconcerting of the three issues I had with the film. Those dreads in her hair were amazing. Geez I'm sad. The problem I have with thinking the white witch was hot, is that she is the devil. I mean I know lucifer was the most beautiful of angels, so much that it was a point of pride, but I don't want to like him for that. Half the time when she was doing terrible things in the movie, all I could think about was wanting to hold her hand, and touch her dreads. Alright this is getting creepy, and people actually read this, so I'll bring this to a close quickly. Anyway I guess I should explore what thinking the white witch was hot means about my soul, or just forget and think about the Braves and Rockies chances next year. (By the way the Rockies made some excellent moves in the Winter meetings, and I think we are one veteran power bat away from 80 wins next year. Believe that.)

So this is what I got. I might post later today because I have a lot of random crap I want to verbalize, b/c I'm tired of having it inside.

3 comments:

Loren said...

I've not read the books (shockingly). Maybe I will one day soon. I've not ever really been into fantasy, so I've always been hesitant about them. All of that to say, what I've to say next may all be null and void by that mere fact.
Issue 1: What about James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman?

Issue 2: they should've given each of the animals all different kinds of accents (i.e. Southern, Bostonian, Australian, Iranian, etc). Did all the others have American accents? That's silly, indeed.

Issue 3: That's kind of freaky. I think you should go to counseling for that. Perhaps you're subconsciously wooed by the devil on a daily, superficial basis and that's what's got you down (please note sarcasm...I'm laughing out loud as I type this). Still kind of weird, though. Although now I'm a little worried to see it cause what if I have the same reaction...then who'd be the messed up one needing counseling?

Anonymous said...

Mentioning the Falcons and Braves in the same post...nice. I like numbering the issues, makes me think i'm on the McGlaughlin Group, or the Sinatra group, whichever you prefer.

Anonymous said...

Liam....Ireland...alcoholism...blahlagagalabaa...c'mon its me Ronnie man!