Wednesday, November 30, 2005

the vagrant gypsy life

So yesterday one of my friends included this poem in an e-mail they sent me and it took me back. I memorized this in the ninth grade, when we had learn a poem for our english class and share it. It was a blessing hearing it again, so I want to put it here so I don't lose it again

Sea Fever
By: John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely seas and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

So thats it, I think I am a sap for loving such things, but I'm glad I have that poem again, I've always remembered parts, and now I have the whole. I want the vagrant gypsy life a bit too much I think. We is what we is.

4 comments:

Loren said...

i think what i find most fascinating is the juxtaposition of your two most recent posts...practicality and a gypsy's life...i guess i don't see them as being possible together, but i think that, my friend, is the beauty that makes jeff feinberg the man he is and i appreciate that.
i'm amazed that you chose this poem to memorize in 9th grade. i think i memorized one of emily dickinson's (i never saw a moor, i never saw the sea...i never spoke with God nor visited Him in heaven, yet certain am I of the spot as if the check were given). was it that you came upon that poem all by yourself or could you choose from a list and that's the one you chose? amazing...

Loren said...

where'd the snow post go? i didn't take the chance to comment on it, yet...

Anonymous said...

I want not acquiesce in on it. I regard as nice post. Specially the appellation attracted me to study the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.