Thursday, June 14, 2007

learning tension

This may come off more as a diatribe than a response to class, so for that I apologize. Today we asked the question in class If we all agree that spiritual growth is good, then why do we see so many people plateau in their spiritual lives, never achieving what we hope for them? We put forth many ideas ranging from control, to the learners aren't taking responsibility, poor communication, and poor implementation. I agree with nearly all of the suppositions we put forth, however all of these solutions led me to one overarching question: IF WE ARE NOT CREATING DISCIPLES THEN WHAT THE HECK ARE WE AND ARE WE DOING? In my understanding of the body of X, its function is to be his ambassadors in this place. We remain after salvation to tell the story, and be ministers of reconciliation between the world and God. Therefore if we have ceased to reconcile men to God, and ceased to help believers realize their role as ambassadors of reconciliation, what is it we "believe" and what is it we are? Can we divorce our identity as the Church from the function of the Church. I have a difficulty in finding peace that we are churches when we do not achieve this goal. All of this said I do not want to pile on to churches without saying I am the problem, and hope to be a part of the solution. I think Christian Education does play a role in th eprocess of helping people both inside and outside the Church realize this end, but it must pervade all of our music, corporate worship, literature, awareness. If we ever teach about strong families, it must be connected to the overarching goal of helping people realize that God is reaching out through families to bring reconciliation between them and himself.

This is getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I'm not sure how to change the tide, but I have some ideas. First, I think pastors need to let go. If we are afraid that anyone in our congregation will someday pass us in holiness, wisdom, service, sacrifice, or spirituality go into the sales business. Free market capitalism is all about this mentality and one with this perspective would do well there. As pastors we must always hope that everyone in our congregation will not need us and teach us one day, hopefully tomorrow. If pastoring is ever about a paycheck primarily we will compromise our hearts, and our hearts must rest in the hands of X. What faith has faith in a check being cashed but not in God honoring obedience. Let us never forget that Foxes have holes...but the son of man has no place to lay hs head. This is a full on rant. This was not my intention. One of the other ideas we spoke about in class, I think is extremely important. I think for a church to develop a scope of what matters and a sequence of how it will be shared over time is extremely significant. People have to know we are committed to something and heading somewhere to accomplish that end. We must be about something, we must articulate it with words and action, if not lets close the doors, sell the property and give the members a share of the dividends because we are obviously a lot mor elike a corporation than the kingdom of God. I'm a jerk, and need some water.

1 comment:

Brent said...

thanks.
a. for coming back.
b. for articulating what a follower of christ should live like, and what leaders should look like.

give me a ring sometime.

b