Wednesday, April 12, 2006

rolling rox, and road rash

Starters--Rockies 5-2 and swept only there 13th road series in franchise history this weekend. Let's start the playoffs today. In all seriousness, a healthy April and May means playoff contention in August. we'll see.

Last night Sarah and I were gonna ride my longboards for a date. I have to say "were gonna," b/c we never really made it past the first run. She can ride skateboards, this was clear the first second she got on the board, however it had been awhile and it was a fairly fast hill, thus the end was less than desirable. She got a bit stiff because of her speed and freaked out when she went over a speed bump and fell. She sprained her ankle pretty good, and has a scrawberry the size of a softball on her hip. She is hanging in there, and it was fun to watch her attack the hill so confidently. You can't really fault yourself, when you get hurt not being afraid, at least thats what I think. Nevertheless this experience as well as our relationship in general thus far is teaching me loads about sacrifice. There have been multiple times already when I have had to face my selfishness and sacrifice for the sake of "us." it is fun and has been a blessing. I'm stoked that when we go to Seattle this weekend, to visit her family, we'll be bringing her broken from my skateboard. funny.

Last week--last week was an interesting week. One in which I had to walk through being challenged by people and God. A situation arose where I was forced to look at myself and ministry and pray a lot to determine whether or not I was missing the boat or not. I am purposely staying ambiguous to protect everyone involved. On this side of things, I can say that it was an experience that hurt me at the time but has indeed made me a better minister. I think as long as ministering to people is my job, I will be hurt by the ones I love, and consequently I will hurt the ones I love. This is certainly a messy business, but nevertheless the only thing I can do.

Passive Resistance--I really have no clue what I think about war anymore. I have been reading, thinking, and listening to a ton of stuff lately in regards to how we should respond to aggression. I am still on the fence about this one. If anyone has any thoughts on where they have arrived on the necessity of war let me know. I'd love some feedback. Here is my question: If hate, anger, or violence could solve the world's problems than why are we still fighting today, because we have been fighting for a long time, you know?

Easter--hallelujah. Reading the book of John and being blown away by the focus and single-mindedness of Christ. poetry.

sleep--I don't need as much of it as I thought.

playing catch in the evening--might be the best thing ever. Thank goodness I have friends who like to.

chick-fil-a--it is really freaking good.

nature--goulet.

8 comments:

Dana said...

GO ROX! can't wait til the game next week. and we gotta play catch. i'll even drive allllll the way up to your place just to do it. oooooh, and maybe my brother will play catch with me this weekend. that'd be really cool.

ah, the pains of ministry. someday (when i have a couple of spare days) i'll tell you about mine. and good call on being ambiguous... ;)

and finally, why did you have to mention chick-fil-a? makes me wanna drive up to the mall even though i really don't have time tonight.

Dana said...

i just realized how totally me-focused that last comment was... :)

Ryan said...

"Go Sarah, you can do it! yeah!

...whoa, uh... huh...

*Sarah goes skyward*

WOW!"

crash.

I imagine it going something like that.

***

"Man, I am SO AWESOME at this."

I giggled quietly to myself about that again today.

love love love from the one above, jefftastic. I hope you have a blast in Seattle! I really want to go there someday. I would have a photography hayday.

Sher said...

First of all, I have to say that I wish some boy would take me on a date where I sprain my ankle. That sounds like a "really" good time! "Dirt in the skirts!" (Just kidding, Jeff.)

But for real...on war...John Locke wrote some interesting things on "just war," which is found in his work "Two Treatises." Which is actually based on works by St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas. I recommend researching some of their stuff. But it's put forth like so...

Seven Criteria for when one may go to war are Competent Authority (war declared only by government, not private parties), Just Cause(war is meant to protect innocent life and natural rights), Right Intention (must have a reason to go to war), Comparative Justice (the goodness or rightness of one side must greatly outweigh the evilness of the other. No one is completly in the right), Proportionality (You have to have more fire power than who you are going to war with), Probablity of Success (Must be a likelihood that you'll achieve the goal for going to war), and Last Resort (War should not be waged unless all peaceful alternatives have been exhausted).

Where to start on this? "Written on the Heart: The Case for Natural Law" by J. Budziszewski. Yeah, I know, sounds like a real page turner...but this one is actually good! This summarized the just war theory though!

I can't say that I have decided exactly where I stand on war. I'm a pacifist by nature, but then studying the Bible makes me think that in a world tainted by sin and evilness, war is inevitible. Just make sure you support war for the right reasons, and for your reasons, not because someone else said you should support it.

Those are just my two cents....

Dana said...

oh yeah, did you ever read lewis' "why i am not a pacifist"? he makes some great arguments. it's not that he thinks war is a great thing or anything, but he makes a good case for why he can't be a pacifist.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, what's up? Newberry's post in the baseball league lead me to your site. Glad to hear a little about life up there.

Sorry I had to turn down your trade. I think this is Crosby's year.

This is the Cards year- Cards in 5 over the A's

Anonymous said...

you said "whatever it takes" to get me to florida...
so i say, support the war. :) just messing. but i will try to connect you with my brother--the flaming lib.

Anonymous said...

Finally!!! I am so glad that someone can share my sense of guilt of watching someone take off down a hill (on your own dare or request) and then that person totally eat it!

i hate it for her, but if she is still with you after that, then my friend, you had better hold on tight to her!